Irish Gazette

Red Zones: School Divided

Bryan Herran, Contributor

In the new school year, Rosemount High School has issued a new policy known as the “Red Zones” and has given students their own iPad. As the interviews began, a clear divide was brought to light.

The Red Zones are rules that mandate students must put away their phones in classes, hence the name, or face the device being taken away. The only time phones are allowed to be used is during passing time, called “Green Zones”. This is different from years past, because the administration are forced to enforce the policy.

Tracy Larson, a Spanish teacher, is pro-Red Zones. Larson has “been pleased with it and most kids are good about adhering to it, it’s made my job much easier,” she explains, “I no longer have to be looking for phones and what not.” She “sure as heck hopes” that this policy goes this distance.

While she acknowledged that iPads have begun to take the place of phones, she did say that those who enforce it have better class averages and with regard to the kids that don’t really care, she was not surprised at their grades in her class.

However, Tessa Rossini, a senior attending the school, dislikes the idea and felt as though the school “dismissed the fact that people use their phones for things besides going on Snapchat.” She continues: “people may need to contact family  and  some people listen to music because it helps them concentrate and deal with their anxiety.” She brought points that questioned the relevancy of Red Zones.

When asked about the iPads, Rossini had a similar viewpoint as Larson. Both said iPads are taking the place of devices. However, Rossini felt that the iPads weren’t needed. She further explains that the “money could have gone elsewhere,” and how students already had a smaller device, phones.  Both agreed that the iPads were useful, but not a necessary addition.

A question should be asked, if Red Zones are suppose to ban devices during class, then why were iPads brought in?

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Red Zones: School Divided”

1. Douglas Hanson on February 14th, 2018 7:23 am

Ok. My opinion on red zones are mixed regarding their effectiveness, and I cannot speek for my liking on the policies, because I don’t own a cell phone. I think that they are a good Idea, and when people follow them, they work well. My issues with them are this. People not following them, and people who use their phone as a backup in certain situations. First, as a freshman, I have a few classes in which few students actually follow the rules. And even in my other classes, I find that approximately 10 students a class pull out their phone for an extended period of time. However, this could very well be me being put into classes with these people by chance, and this could be an outlier in the data. My main concern, Is when the class Is doing something that uses a device, and the students who don’t have theirs, will use their phones for it. This raises the issue of students who do this switching apps and not participating. This is easy to verify with review games like Kahoot! Or quizlet live, but for quizzes, the student can keep using their phone after the test looking like they are still working. And while it is better to use the phone as a backup then to not participate, It still can lead to issues. Now am I saying that I don’t trust most students here? No. There are just a few students I see who raise an issue.

Tl/Dr : the policies still have a few holes that need to be patched, and not all students make this clear to me, just a few.

[Reply]

2. Katelynn Scholl on March 21st, 2018 7:42 pm

I have mixed feelings about the phone thing as well. I am not addicted to my phone like some people I have seen, but I do use it. I absolutely hate it when I see kids in class using their phones under the desk, or just using their phones put in the open, for that matter. I feel frustrated that they aren’t mature enough to respect the rules. But I also think that kids should be allowed to use their phones whenever they want. This is because if they think their phone is more important than the class they are in, they are choosing to be ignorant and not care about their education. I believe it should be the student’s choice wether they want to use their phones in class or not. But don’t get me wrong I really do hate it when I see kids with their phones out in class.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Red Zones: School Divided

News

PA-18 Special Election: Yet Another Upset in Trump Country

• Red Zones: School Divided

News

A Hail Mary in the Deep South: Democrats Win in Alabama

• Red Zones: School Divided

World Affairs

The US’ Long History With Puerto Rico

• News

“I Am Elizabeth Smart”

• Red Zones: School Divided

News

Rosemount Football head coach to run for House

• Red Zones: School Divided

World Affairs

Catalan Crisis

• Opinion

I Am a Liar

• Red Zones: School Divided

News

• Red Zones: School Divided

Arts and Entertainment

RuPaul and Transphobia

• Red Zones: School Divided

Arts and Entertainment

The New Craze, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp

The Student News Site of Rosemount High School
Red Zones: School Divided