Irish Gazette

Irish Gazette

Red Zones: School Divided

Bryan Herran, Contributor

In the new school year, Rosemount High School has issued a new policy known as the “Red Zones” and has given students their own iPad. As the interviews began, a clear divide was brought to light.

The Red Zones are rules that mandate students must put away their phones in classes, hence the name, or face the device being taken away. The only time phones are allowed to be used is during passing time, called “Green Zones”. This is different from years past, because the administration are forced to enforce the policy.

Tracy Larson, a Spanish teacher, is pro-Red Zones. Larson has “been pleased with it and most kids are good about adhering to it, it’s made my job much easier,” she explains, “I no longer have to be looking for phones and what not.” She “sure as heck hopes” that this policy goes this distance.

While she acknowledged that iPads have begun to take the place of phones, she did say that those who enforce it have better class averages and with regard to the kids that don’t really care, she was not surprised at their grades in her class.

However, Tessa Rossini, a senior attending the school, dislikes the idea and felt as though the school “dismissed the fact that people use their phones for things besides going on Snapchat.” She continues: “people may need to contact family  and  some people listen to music because it helps them concentrate and deal with their anxiety.” She brought points that questioned the relevancy of Red Zones.

When asked about the iPads, Rossini had a similar viewpoint as Larson. Both said iPads are taking the place of devices. However, Rossini felt that the iPads weren’t needed. She further explains that the “money could have gone elsewhere,” and how students already had a smaller device, phones.  Both agreed that the iPads were useful, but not a necessary addition.

A question should be asked, if Red Zones are suppose to ban devices during class, then why were iPads brought in?