Irish Gazette

Irish Gazette

Schoology Review

Tyler Thompson, Writer

“Schoology” has become a familiar word to all of us in the first month of this school year and there’s a good reason for that. Schoology is District 196’s new grade, course updates, online assignments viewer and turn in bin for this new school year, and depending on how successful it proves to be throughout the remainder of the year, many subsequent years to come. Schoology has come into the picture in order to replace the old method of viewing and managing assignments and grades called, “Schoolview”. The choice is yours on which one you would prefer, but one thing is clear… Schoology is taking a lot of time to get used to.

When it comes to completely changing systems of any kind, it usually requires a bit of a learning curve. This has been the case for everybody, teachers and students alike. This is mainly because of the completely new interface, which will likely continue to be a struggle for some to acclimate to. One of the biggest changes is the way in which one views their grades. Before, in Schoolview, one would simply go to their main Schoolview homepage and it would give them an option right in the middle that says, “Grades.” Then as one would expect, they just tap/click that and then get a quick glimpse at all of their grades in a simple list. Now, in Schoology, checking grades will require one of two methods. One can either go to your classes view and select the “Grades” option on the left options menu, or they can go straight from the main menu screen to the “Grades” option on the sidebar. In that mode they can choose which class’ grade they want to check from the next options menu.

This and similar option differences like this are what separate Schoology and Schoolview, making the user experience somewhat rocky and the reviews mixed. While some appreciate the revamped, updated interface, others have made it clear that Schoology is too different for them to get comfortable with. Some of these complaints could just be short-lived, but for others, this is what could be the beginning of a long-standing hatred. While this may be unfortunate, it isn’t all too surprising for the aforementioned reasons. Schoology has one big advantage to gain some friends because people will need to use it in in one way or another over the course of this year and possibly many more to come. Whether this is exciting or not depends on your standing opinions.

Mr. Samuel Thompson, a sixth-grade student at Scott Highlands Middle School is an active user of Schoology and had a few things to say about it. Firstly, I should disclose that it was actually all positive critique. According to Mr. Thompson, he was actually a really big fan of the user interface thinking that it captures where to go for certain tasks, like accessing assignments, in a simple way. He also likes just having a way to check your progress in school because he thinks that when you’re able to keep tabs on your work, it lets you take your own responsibility for your performance. When it comes down to it, Mr. Thompson is a fan of Schoology and would actually like to see it continue into the future.

Really, the choice is yours on which one you stand next to. Leave a vote on which one you happen to prefer by following the link down below:

Schoology VS Schoolview

(Thanks for voting, but I do ask of you to NOT vote if you haven’t used BOTH Schoology AND Schoolview. If you’re only experienced with one or the other, please refrain from placing a vote.)